Monday, January 03, 2011

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a wonderful time ringing in the New Year.  This was our first New Year’s Eve in Italy, so it was exciting, even though we stayed in.  Neither Dan or I are fans of large crowds, throw large crowds of Italians into the mix…just doesn’t sound like a pleasant time.  One year I think we would like to tough it out, head to Venice and celebrate the New Year in San Marco Square, just to say we did it and for the experience but we will have to see how deployments will work into that. 

We watched movies, which we haven’t done in a while, we rarely turn on our TV anymore.  There is never anything on, so why waste the electricity?  If you know me, I’m always looking for ways to save money, some people call it being cheap, I call it being smart!  Especially with me not working, why not save if we can help it?  Anyways, it was a pretty peaceful evening until midnight hit.  I heard fireworks were huge here on New Year’s, but I wasn’t expecting that. I went upstairs and looked out the front bedroom window and since our town is up in the mountain a little bit I could see fireworks going off all over the place in Sacile and off in the distance in Pordenone.  Pretty neat. My poor dog didn’t think so.  She is terrified of fireworks, she used to run a hide in weird places like the bathtub, but now she gets right in your face and shakes like crazy and pants. I thought she was going to have a heart attack.  The fireworks that neighbors were setting off were just really loud POPS, I mean really loud. If that wasn’t bad enough our neighbor came out and didn’t even walk to the end of our walkway to set off his firecrackers, he just did them right by the door here. I had to take Shae downstairs to the bedroom down there, shut the door and turned on some music. After a while she finally settled down. Poor thing. I wonder what makes them so scared of these things? 

Dan is getting busy again with work and classes. He is about to start 3 more classes, one of them being a week long course that he will take on base and the other 2 classes go through April and they are online.

We are looking forward to visitors this year. Dan’s Mom is coming in April and my parents are coming in the first part of June.  Today I spent most of the day looking for apartments for rent in Rome because that’s usually a better deal than hotels.  I emailed a few people and just waiting for their responses. I’m excited that we are going to be seeing our families and seeing new places :) 

I hope that 2011 will be filled with lots of love, laughs and great memories to remember forever.  And so it begins…

No comments:

Post a Comment