Tuesday, January 11, 2011

01.10.11

On this day, the world lost a great man, Dr. Paul Zimmerman.  It absolutely breaks my heart that the best people are taken from this earth. 

This picture was at my going away get together we had at the Dublin in Rapid. Dr. Zimmerman and his wife, Kris.

003

I worked with Dr. Z at the Black Hills Regional Eye Institute (surgery center) in Rapid City SD.  He was an amazing man, came to work everyday with a smile on his face and ended the day with a smile on his face as well. Always so appreciative of all who worked with him and there wasn’t a day he worked with us without him thanking us for doing such a great job that day.  Some days, we even got back rubs!  Being up in the surgery center and having to work with other doctors, I only worked with him once or twice a week. I wish it could have been more. I enjoyed being in the the operating room with him. He was such a great doctor and was always into teaching and showing us new and interesting things he came across.  We of course jammed out with some tunes in the OR (not too loud), but every time I hear “ I’m yours” By Jason Mraz and “Pocket full of Sunshine” by Natasha Bedingfield, I will always think of him.  Dr. Z loved the song “I’m yours” and always asked me to turn it up when it was on.  There was also a radio station in town that allowed people to record a message like, “This is Dr. Zimmerman from the Black Hills Regional Eye Institute and that was Natasha Bedingfield with Pocket full of Sunshine.” So, we also heard that many times a day and it always made me smile.

This is Dr. Z singing at the BHREI Winter Party up in Spearfish Canyon, SD

183

He was not only a great man to work with, but a great man to his patients.  His patients LOVED Dr. Z.  He was so good at what he did, so friendly, just a down to earth guy.  I was his patient, so got to experience first hand what it was like from another point of view.  Dr. Z performed my iLasik surgery and did a fantastic job!  He explains everything that’s going on, makes sure you aren’t in any pain, he was wonderful.  When I got Lasik he knew I was going home to be alone because Dan was gone for pre-deployment training, so he called me that night to make sure I was doing okay and checking if I needed anything. Like I said…GREAT MAN.

This picture was at a Rapid City Rush Hockey game. In this photo is Connie, Carrie, Dr. Z and myself

010

Dr. Z was diagnosed with ocular melanoma September 28th, 2009. When they did scans, it had already spread to his liver.  He was so determined to fight and beat this cancer.  I wasn’t there in SD anymore, but through his caringbridge site he shared his journey through it all and he was so determined to beat it. 

It’s sad to think when I go back to visit the BHREI, he won’t be there. I’m sure today is a very hard day for the BHREI family and I am thinking of you all. 

I feel so blessed to have known Dr. Zimmerman. He had a great impact on so many people and was such an inspiration. This man will be greatly missed by all who knew him.  My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time. I will never forget you Dr. Z, may you rest in peace.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for you loss. He seemed like a really great man and I am sure he will be missed by many. My prayers go out to you, his family and anyones life that he touched!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked for a optometrist before we moved to Chicago. He was a great doctor as well. Your Dr Z sounds alot like Dr Eubanks very caring and a great guy to work for. Dr Eubanks died in August 2009 from a heart attack so I know what you are going through. I will keep you and Dr Z's family in my prayers. Donna

    ReplyDelete