Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Decisions..

Well, I took Eddie to Dr. Candotti yesterday, since he was out on Thursday when we got that x-ray done, this is the first I have talked to him about it. He said what everyone had said..it's a mess. He said that when it was broken the second time instead of putting 2 more pins in, he should have taken the pins out and do internal fixation with plates and bone grafts. He said that putting in those extra pins is what broke the radius, because when you put the pins in it makes the bones soft. I didn't even know he did this, that's one of the main reasons I was looking for vets around the area who do. I told him about everything I had been doing over the weekend, having a friend post the x-rays on a vet site, got opinions from them and also calling and talking to other ortho vets in the area. He talked to me for 45 minutes telling me what he was going to do and how he was going to do it. I asked what he thought the outcome was, he said that amputation is not an option for him and he thinks that his leg will be back to normal and that his prognosis is really good. I kept asking him if he felt comfortable doing a surgery like this and making sure he has all the correct things to do the surgery and he said he felt very confident. He scheduled the surgery for Friday, I went ahead and let him put it in the books and figured after I talked to the other vet, I would make my decision.

I spoke to the vet that's 3 hours away in Cremona, Italy last night and told him everything Candotti said. I was trying to get a direct response from him as to who I should go to o if I could trust Candotti to do another surgery. I have no doubts that if Eddie wouldn't have messed up his leg when he jumped off the table, he would be healed right now. I just can't believe how careful we have been and watching him, I've been kicking myself in the butt ever since. This vet didn't really say "Come to me, I have a lot more experience." If he would have I wouldn't even be thinking about who I am going to go to right now. He would basically do the same thing Candotti explained to me, but he would rather take out the pins, let Eddie heal for a few weeks and then to the internal fixation stuff. I asked Candotti about that and he said he didn't really think it's necessary. The vet 3 hours away left today for the states and won't be back until next week and he also said it would be difficult because we are 3 hours away. Dan and I had more questions for Candotti so I called him this morning. I was just leaving a message for him to call back but I guess he was available then because he got on the phone right away. I asked him the questions I had and he answered them all pretty well. I stressed how important this is to us, he said that he he didn't feel confident in his skills he would tell me and once again said he is very confident. He said, "I don't know what they say, maybe beat around the bush? I don't like the beat around the bush." Most Italians here don't know these kinds of expressions so it was kinda funny, but it also made me feel better. One of the questions I asked him was if yhe could take x-ray right after surgery, to make sure everything is correct and he said "Yes, definitely." He also said he started doing research last night, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Good because he is preparing, but maybe not so good because maybe he hasn't done one in a while, I don't know. I felt a lot better after talking to him on the phone, he told me if I had any more questions to call any time. I still just feel so nervous because I want to make the best decision for Eddie. Even if I was scheduled with this other guy tomorrow, I would still be worried like this, because I don't know how many of these he does either. I don't think I will feel better until I know he is better. Dan and I have to talk more about it tonight when he gets home and make up our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment