Thursday, August 26, 2010

Internet...What to do?

When we first moved here we went to the electronic store in town and they told us of ST internet. It costs 280 Euro to install and it will cost 30 euro a month. The speed they offer is 2mb, which you never really get the full amount. They said it would be fast enough for skype and vonage, but I don't know fd I trust that. We were also told of NGI internet, this is the one that is not available to us now, but we were told in 1-2 months it would be. The installation in free and it's 30 euro a month for 6mb of speed. I have no doubt that vonage and skype would work well, that's why we have been waiting for this service. Initially we were told that the tower was already installed, they just have to activate it, which would take 1-2 months. After 1.5 months went by I called Alessio (internet guy) and he said he just had a meeting with the company and it would be the end of June. The end of June came and he said they are not giving him that tower and they wanted signatures of people in our town (at least 30) and they would consider putting a tower up on the electronic store. Alessio came by and got our signature about 1.5 months ago, he also got 54 other signatures. I haven't heard from him, so I called him yesterday and met him at the electronic store. He said he turned in the signatures a month ago and he has still not heard back from them. He said in August a lot of people of on vacation (which is very true, they close shop and leave for a month) and he thinks I should wait until September to see if he has an answer then. He is a very nice guy...but now we have gone 4 months with this internet key and nothing happening. Do I continue to wait? Or do I go with ST and hope that the 2mb of speed will be fast enough for vonage and skype? It's a 2 year contract with ST, if you don't have it for 2 years you pay to get out of the contract, which I don't know how much it would be. The guy who signs people up for ST is out of town, he will be back next week and I don't know how long it would take for them to get to our apartment to install it. If I wait for NGI, say in November they approve the tower, they still have to put the tower up and once the tower is up I would have to wait for them to come out and install everything. In the states, it might not be an issue, but here...something as simple as them coming out to install something could take months. So, I am asking your opinion...what do you think I should do? I told Alessio if I went with ST it would be my luck that he would get a call from NGI that same day approving the tower. I'm stuck like Chuck and have no idea what to do. :/

2 comments:

  1. What's the internet speed at my house? I know it varies a lot, but Skype has been working well enough to talk with my family any time I've wanted lately, so whatever speed I have should be more than enough for you too. I wouldn't wait any longer. You're going to be waiting until next year and it's ALWAYS going to be "one more month".... But you can always use my wireless too. I like your company. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would wait for the NGI.

    ReplyDelete