Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Update

I took Eddie back to the vet yesterday. I was nervous because the vet said the pins in Eddie's leg would have to be turned every 10 days and that can't be fun. He said it didn't need to be turned, he just checked him out, watched him walk and said it's just a waiting game. He still only walks on that leg occasionally, but hobbles on 3 legs more than he walks on it. Eddie's anal glands are also acting up again. In January of this year he was acting weird and we weren't sure what was wrong with him. We had to take him to the vet and it was an anal gland abscess. It had completely opened up and there was a hole in his behind. They had to clean off the dead skin and the put a tube in from where the anal gland is to where it secretes from...it wasn't pretty. I asked the vet if there was anything we could do to prevent this is the future and they told me no and that it wouldn't happen again. 2 weeks after we got here in Italy, Eddie wasn't acting himself again, so I felt where his anal glands are and there was a huge knot, about the size of a walnut. We took him to an Italian vet because the vet on base doesn't do much besides preventative stuff. The Italian vet opened it up, cleaned it out but didn't place a tube and of course got antibiotics. The vet said if it happened again we could talk about taking the anal glad out because if it keeps recurring it could lead to cancer. So...when I took him to the vet yesterday I had him feel and like I thought, it is getting backed up again. When you touch it, Eddie starts licking the air...which is what he did the last time. He wants to check it again next week, but I wish we could just fix him up! I talked to him about taking out the anal gland and he said he would rather try and have me give him more fiber and have him lose weight before taking it out. Eddie has been on a special cat food since he got blocked a few years ago. He has gained a lot of weight since then. Vets in the states told me I have to be careful when getting him to lose weight because of his size and fatty liver. Vets here said I have nothing to worry about and I should just take away his food and feed him once a day. I do need to pick up the cat food and feed him at certain times, I do think that will help, I just don't want to run into more problems doing so. Poor Eddie, he never catches a break.

Dan and I went to a bird festival in Sacile this weekend. Sacile is about 5 minutes away and it was the 770th annual bird festival! Crazy! It was PACKED! They had thousands of birds there for sale, the prices weren't too bad either. Most birds we have seen before, but there were some there that were just gorgeous and we had no idea what they were. It was sad though because they put a lot of birds in one cage...they barely could move. They also had squirrels and chipmunks for sale in a cage, which I also thought was sad. It's a pretty big festival though, it was interesting.

This weekend is the weekend we were supposed to go to Zell Am See in Austria. Dan now has to work all weekend and I was going to go with a friend since he couldn't cancel. He actually contacted the hotel and they were able to switch the dates for us, so now Dan and I will be going Sept 9th-12th.

I am excited for fall to get here, this past weekend was pretty hot. I cannot wait until the cooler weather arrives and the leaves start changing colors. It's one of my favorite times of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment