Friday, March 04, 2011

Why I Loved South Dakota

I am writing this blog to share some pictures we took while we lived in the beautiful state of South Dakota.  I am inspired to write this because of the milspouse Friday Fill-in answer, where would you not want to be stationed?  I couldn’t believe how many people said South Dakota…now North Dakota I totally understand, but trust me, South Dakota was wonderful! 

I was born in Ohio and we moved to SW Florida when I was around 9. Grew up there, then went and lived in Northern Florida while we attended college. I hadn’t really been anywhere out west, so when we found out we were going there, I have to tell you, I was a little disappointed.  I was thinking we were going to be living in the middle of nowhere with farmland all around us and I thought it was going to be flat as can be, just like FL. 

We drove there in 2 separate cars, I followed Dan the whole way and it took 3 days of travel to get there.  We checked in to our hotel and went to find where our apartment was.  It was on what is considered a nice, quiet part of town and the grounds were so beautiful, I’ve never seen anything SO green. Here are a few pics of the apartment grounds.

100_3051

100_3050

This area is not flat, it’s a pretty hilly place.  Rapid City is also close to the foothills of the Black Hills, this made for a lot to do in the winter or summer.  Speaking of winter, winter’s weren’t that bad. Yes, it snowed, we got a few blizzards which shut the town down, but the weather was just so amazingly unpredictable, I loved it.  One day it was 80 degrees, the next day we had a blizzard that would shut everything down. Next day, sun would come out and melt all the snow.  I’ve never driven in snow until I moved here, so I was very nervous about this, especially with the hills. The snow never stayed on the ground long though, that’s what I really liked.  Now, the Eastern part of South Dakota always got so much more snow.  Rapid City did get cold, I remember once it was –40 below including wind chill, but it’s not like that for months on end. 

The rest of the pictures are just places around the area. We went on a lot of hikes here, fished and just loved to drive around.

Sylvan Lake

100_3090100_3094

Needles Highway

100_3120100_3122100_3125100_3133

In Custer State Park there was a road called the Wildlife loop, lots of Buffalo, deer, antelope, prairie dogs, fox, donkeys, elk…

100_3157100_3165100_3183

View of Mount Rushmore

100_3186100_3191100_3192100_3193pic

Then you have the Badlands National Park close by

100_3319100_3321100_3338100_3376

Stairs we climbed up while hiking in the badlands

537

Going back down, they were pretty steep!

609618627

Devil’s Tower was close

DSC00360

Blizzard in May! Driving down the Road

May 2nd Blizzard 011

My Car! The wind was really blowing that day. As you can see how much the snow is off the side of my car

May 2nd Blizzard 020May 2nd Blizzard 035

Stream that ran through the city.

DSC_0952

Beautiful sunny day

IMG_0144

Harney Peak Hike. See that little tower on the top of the photo? That’s Harney Peak, about a 2-3 hour hike, just to get there.

006

This was only about 25 minutes into the hike. This was the second time we hiked it though, first time it took us about 3 hours, this time only about an hour and a half to get up there. You can barely see Harney Peak in this picture, it’s in the top right corner.

202

At the top, we always packed a lunch when we went and ate it while up here. Beautiful views.

210211

Never forget peanuts for the chipmunks!

282300

This is the “tower” you were looking at in the above photo’s.

305309

The skies were simply amazing

IMG_0382IMG_0385IMG_0052DSC_0061DSC_0066IMG_0122

Devil’s Bathtub. This was in Spearfish, SD on private property.  We heard about it from many people and found it online how to get there. Since it’s on private property and you have to “trespass” to hike on it, there aren’t too many people here. It' truly is a hidden treasure. On this hike we had to cross through the very cold stream about 15 times. It’s a beautiful hike, once you find the starting point, you just follow the stream North and figure out a way to get from one side to the next. It’s fun because you actually have to think about where you have to go. You keep going until you see something that resembles a bath tub.

DSC_1350DSC_1352DSC_1373

Here it is, Devil’s Bathtub

DSC_1390DSC_1394DSC_1404

Well, those were some of my pictures from good ol’ South Dakota.  I loved it there and hope that we will be back there again one day.  The people out there are so kind, I had an absolutely amazing job and it was beautiful. Can’t get any better than that! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Britt. I wouldn't mind living in SD. We went there on a family vacation once and I remember thinking it was really pretty. Your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love SO much about this post! I, too, have heard lots of bad things about the base there.. after seeing this, I would love to be stationed there a while! we love hiking and it looks like there is so much to do and see! I'm a huge scaredy-cat driver, so i don't know how I would do in the snow.. but other than that SD looks wonderful! thanks for sharing all these pics and enlightening us on the SD subject! :)
    ps- THE SKY!!! love love love

    ReplyDelete
  3. *not bad things about the base, bad things about being stationed there b/c of coldness etc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for making this post. It does look better than I thought it would be. I made the mistake (sorry!) of lumping it in with North Dakota. But, the main reason I didn't want to be stationed there is that it isn't near either one of our families, and we miss the comforts of home.

    Funny enough, there is a guy at my work that keeps saying that the AF is going to lose our assignment orders and station us there. It is great to see that so many people enjoyed their time there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading this. We love and miss South Dakota so much and plan to relocate in the next few years. My husband and I have never felt so drawn to a place. Enjoyed your photos.. :-)

    ReplyDelete