Saturday, July 21, 2012

White Water Rafting in Slovenia

In June I went with a friend and her husband white water rafting in Slovenia.  It was a trip that outdoor rec put on through base, I paid them $80, the drove us to Slovenia, took us to X point, which was the company that we used, and then upstream to drop us off in the Soca River. 

The river itself was beautiful.  The day we went was foggy and rainy, but the water was still amazingly clear, I can’t imagine how beautiful it would have been on a sunny day. 

The water was freezing, about 50 degrees, we were in wet suits, but that didn’t help too much since your arms, chest and neck weren’t covered.  When you hit the water, it took your breath away, that’s how cold it was.

After about 15 minutes in the raft, our group of 4 boats pulled off the side and the guides flipped over a raft on a big rock to create a slide to go down..this was pretty fun.  Further down the river, they allowed people to jump off a high rock into the river as well, they guides were pretty cool, they made us sign a waiver prior to getting on the river..After the rock jumping I saw why. 

Our raft flipped over in the beginning of a long stretch of rapids, I got lucky and clung to a rock which helped me get over to the bank before going through the rapids…other weren’t so lucky. It was something so small that made us flip too, just hit it at the wrong angle and didn’t have enough power going into it. The boat behind us flipped as well!  Crazy.  Everyone on the river pulled together, kayakers came back to help out, other rafts pulled off to the side to get out of their rafts and help as well.  I felt bad for our guide, he said he hadn’t had a raft flip on him in over 7 years. Some people we found a ways down the river, but no one was hurt, so that’s good, just adds to the adventure, right? 

039

012

036039040042043044049050

We made it!

065

They served us lunch

084

I took our gopro camera with me and took some videos.  I did my best to edit and put them all together…it’s going to take work to get better, but here is the video!

After eating lunch we went on a beautiful hike…here are some pictures..

069045046047051079

It was a great trip, I would love to go do it again!  When Dan gets home, we will definitely have to go explore more or Slovenia!

3 comments: